keeping an eye on the Kingdom's PR
Nature of Business: Public relations and strategic advisory
3rd Floor, 111 Buckingham Palace Road
London SW1W 0SR (map)
|Fees and Expenses: Unknown|
Relationship with Bahrain Government
Dragon Associates is a British PR and Strategic Communication firm (previously named Woodmint Ltd) that has a contract with the Bahrain International Circuit (where Bahrain's Formula One Grand Prix race takes place). While their work involves putting out press releases, they also forced the Guardian to take down an opinion piece in January 2012 that claimed that the BIC.s head of security had tortured at least one of the company.s employees on the premises. With the exception of a superfluous addendum, the piece went back up unchanged - just after tickets for the Bahrain Grand Prix went on sale.
It is not clear exactly when, and for how much money, Dragon Associates was hired, but it is possible that it took over the work that another British PR company New Century Media, was originally contracted for by the BIC in August 2011. The current Managing Director of Dragon Associates Charlie Methven was Managing Director of New Century Media until June 2011.
Fees and Expenses
Unknown, but could be on the same scale as New Century Media which was contracted for £20,000 (approx $31,300) per month.
Date of Hiring
January 2012, or earlier
- Charles Harry Finlayson Methven, Managing Director and founder
- Marc Owen Jones: Are Bahrain finally getting their money's worth from a PR company?, February 13, 2012
- AlJazeera.com: Suppressing the narrative in Bahrain, February 16, 2012
- Marc Owen Jones: The PR Octopus & Its Incredibly Long Tentacles, February 20, 2012
- Adam Cooper's F1 blog: Bahrain hits back with positive Lotus report, April 10, 2012